Humanity is going through a unique period in its history. Stress, worry, anxiety and fear of the unknown are overwhelming us all. Of course, some are more affected than others. That is why we must be attentive to the most vulnerable.
At the top of our list is nutrition. Plant-based diets are the best option for your brain, skin, cardiovascular system and overall energy levels. Eating fresh will also boost your mood because of the antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
Food to be consumed
- Green vegetables: spinach, kale and sprouts
- Hazelnuts: almonds, cashews and peanuts
- Tropical fruits: avocados and mangoes
- Common fruits: apples and grapes
- Fruits of the forest: wild berries and currants
- Tofu, tempeh, seitan and soy
- Beans, lentils, chickpeas and edamame
- Hemp seeds, flax seeds and chia seeds
- Complex carbons: potatoes, rice and pasta
- Grains and cereals
Foods to avoid
- Trans fats, saturated fats and partially hydrogenated oils
- Foods containing chemical preservatives, antibiotics and hormones
- Fried and salted foods
- Snacks, drinks and candy
- Refined carbohydrates such as white flour or white rice
Drink enough water
One of our most overlooked needs throughout the day is water. Most people don't come close to drinking enough. Remember the 8×8 ruleThis means eight glasses of water per day (237 ml).
The human body is composed of approximately 70 % of water, which is necessary for cellular functions. Drinking adequate amounts of water can help to:
- Relieve headaches caused by dehydration and fluid loss. Drinking enough water helps reduce blood pressure and get rid of headaches.
- Improved metabolism and regularity. One study indicated how reduced water intake leads to lower internal body activity and constipation.
- Prevention of kidney disease. Another review showed how higher water intake prevents kidney stone formation.
- Reduced joint pain and greater flexibility. By absorbing more water, your joints will be more lubricated and your muscles more flexible.
- Mood Improvement. A groundbreaking study indicated that consuming enough water improves your brain function and overall disposition.
Exercise every day
It has been proven without a doubt that active people are healthier in every way. If you're not a sports fan, that's okay, but you need to stay in shape. The main idea is to get your heart rate up for a few good minutes and stimulate your muscles. Put on some music, dance to the boogie for 15 minutes, and finish with push-ups, sit-ups and squats. Get your endorphins up, and you'll see incredible changes, both physically and mentally.
Get eight hours of rest a day
Getting eight hours of rest a day is incredibly important for physical and psychological health. In addition to the physical damage, lack of sleep will weaken your mental acuity, ability to handle stress and emotional stability. A good night's sleep is paramount, but getting one depends on a few factors:
- Eating habits. You should not eat heavy meals or sugary snacks before bed. Don't be hungry, but keep it light.
- Bright lights. Turn down the brightness of your room and avoid bright screens one hour before.
- Stress and anger. Avoid getting emotional before bed. Relax, meditate and do breathing exercises.
- A regular schedule. Set your biological clock by going to bed at regular times.
Avoid drugs and alcohol
This point may seem redundant. However, it is essential to understand that substance use is not a valid coping mechanism. Vices in general, including smoking, will do more harm than good in the long run - briefly, drugs forcibly release "happy" hormones. But after a while, the brain has to replenish the reserves by drawing on other tissues, which contributes to depression, emotional instability and physical illness. Hard drugs can alter or even destroy the "happiness" receptors.
The coffeeCaffeine, although the least damaging, should not be consumed in excess. Caffeine, especially on an empty stomach, can destabilize your psychological well-being.
Keep in mind to use and not to abuse. Everything in moderation, hold yourself accountable.Socialize as much as possible